$187.5 millionTotal budget
Under ConstructionProject phase
Pilbara Ports AuthorityLead agency
Mid 2021Start date
Late 2024End date
The delivery of the $187.5 million Spoilbank Marina project will create a vibrant new amenity for the Hedland community and visitors to enjoy. It will alleviate demand on existing boat launching facilities and improve access and safety for recreational boaters.
- A four-lane boat ramp;
- Boat pens
- Separate entrance channel to the main shipping channel;
- Trailer parking for vehicles;
- Maintenance hardstand;
- Publicly accessible breakwaters with pedestrian path;
- Public recreation and event space and public amenities;
- Waterfront promenade; and
- Public art and a cultural gathering space.
The project is managed and delivered by Pilbara Ports, in collaboration with the Department of Transport, DevelopmentWA, Pilbara Development Commission, BHP and the Town of Port Hedland. It is funded by the State Government, Town of Port Hedland and BHP.
The marina boat ramps are expected to be operational in late 2023, with final completion of remaining marine and landside areas expected in 2024.