$69 millionTotal budget
Under ConstructionProject phase
Late 2019Start date
Late 2021End date
The Denny Avenue Level Crossing in Kelmscott is the first crossing to be removed under the METRONET Level Crossing Removal program.
Davis Road will be widened from two to four lanes and a new east/west underpass constructed 170 metres south of the existing location, which will ensure an east/west connection is maintained for road users and pedestrians.
Building the underpass involves gradually raising the rail line and changes to the surrounding road network.
Public transport disruptions
Armadale Line Nightly Gosnells to Armadale Closure (17 - 21 Jan 2021)
The Armadale Line will be cancelled between Gosnells and Armadale stations nightly from Sunday 17 until Thursday 21 January, in order to facilitate works on the Denny Avenue Level Crossing Removal.Starts: 17 Jan 2021 - 08:15pm --- Ends: 22 Jan 2021 - 05:00am
Armadale Line Nightly Gosnells to Armadale Closure (31 Jan - 4 Feb 2021)
The Armadale Line will be cancelled between Gosnells and Armadale stations nightly from Sunday 31 until Thursday 4 February, in order to facilitate works on the Denny Avenue Level Crossing Removal.Starts: 31 Jan 2021 - 08:15pm --- Ends: 5 Feb 2021 - 05:00am
Armadale Line Gosnells to Armadale Nightly Closures (7 - 11 Feb 2021)
The Armadale Line will be cancelled nightly between Gosnells and Armadale stations from Sunday 7 until Thursday 11 February, in order to facilitate works on the Denny Avenue Level Crossing Removal.Starts: 7 Feb 2021 - 12:00am --- Ends: 12 Feb 2021 - 12:00am
Closure of Davis Road
From 9 November, access to Davis Road from Albany Highway will be temporarily removed. Access to Davis Road will be via Streich Avenue and Kelmscott Plaza carpark.
In late November, Davis Road will be entirely closed until April 2021, with temporary closures of Streich Avenue near to Davis Road also. Local access will remain.
This is to allow for the following works:
- Completing the storm water installation including micro tunnelling works under Albany Highway.
- Widening Davis Road to four lanes and adding new turning pockets near the underpass.
- Installing two new sets of traffic lights at Davis Road/Albany Highway and Davis Road/Streich Avenue
- Excavating, asphalting and realigning roads with temporary closures of roads and intersections where required.
The community may notice large trucks and machinery on local roads and in the rail corridor creating noise and vibration.
Detours and traffic management will be in place.
Works on Railway Avenue and Third Avenue
Construction works on Railway Avenue and Third Avenue for road realignment, service relocations and installation of a new signalised intersection will occur from 23 November 2020 to April 2021.
What are we doing
- Widening Railway Avenue to four lanes from south of Third Avenue to south of Bray Street.
- Realigning Third Avenue to connect to Davis Road.
- Installing a new signalised intersection at the realigned Third Avenue and Railway Avenue.
- Road construction works include major excavating, and utility service relocations.
- Detours in place on Merrifield Avenue and Camillo Road.
What to expect
- Railway Avenue southbound lanes (east side) will be closed between Third Avenue and Cammillo Road from December 2020 to February 2021.
- Third Avenue will be closed in sections starting with the westbound lane in December 2020.
- Access to Slee Avenue from Third Avenue will be permanently removed from December 2020, and Slee Avenue will become a cul-de-sac.
- Detours will be in place as per the Traffic Management Plan where lanes are closed. See detour map below.
- Access to properties will be maintained at all times.
- Noise and vibration from large machinery to excavate the existing roads surfaces.
- All work will follow approved noise and vibration management plans.
- Railway Avenue night works: 23 November to 4 December 2020
- Railway Avenue: Late November 2020 to April 2021
- Third Avenue: November 2020 to February 2021
- Standard work hours, 6am - 7pm, Monday to Saturday
(Sundays when required)
- Night work hours, 7pm - 7am night works (when required)
- Railway Avenue, Third Avenue and Slee Avenue, Kelmscott.
- Detours on Merrifield Avenue and Cammillo Road.
News and project updatesSee all news
Media releases8 October, 2020
METRONET creating local jobs and supporting local businesses
The McGowan Government is building for tomorrow with an unprecedented $5.7 billion invested in METRONET projects across Perth's suburbs, creating thousands of local jobs and providing opportunities for local businesses.
Media releases16 June, 2020
Bye, bye boom gates - transformational plan released for Armadale Line
Western Australia's next METRONET project is steaming ahead with a package of works, including elevated rail and new station builds, proposals to remove dangerous level crossings and create new community and commercial spaces.