$23 millionTotal budget
Under ConstructionProject phase
Main Roads WALead agency
Early 2022Start date
Late 2022End date
The Principal Shared Path (PSP) along the Mitchell Freeway will be extended on the eastern side from Civic Place to Reid Highway, providing greater connections and convenience for people riding and walking.
The project will include an 80-metre underpass at Karrinyup Road.
Construction commenced in early-2022, with upgrades to the intersection of Karrinyup Road and Cedric Street now complete.
Karrinyup Road off-ramp closure
As part of the Mitchell Freeway Pedestrian and Cyclist Path – Civic Place to Reid Highway Project, Main Roads is constructing an 80-metre underpass at Karrinyup Road.
To enable safe construction of the underpass, the Karrinyup Road off-ramp from Mitchell Freeway southbound will be closed for up to 20 weeks. The closure is expected to be implemented from mid-June to mid-November.
In addition to the ramp closure, road users will face the following restrictions:
• Traffic signals will be switched off at both the Mitchell Freeway northbound and southbound intersections with Karrinyup Road meaning Karrinyup Road will operate under free flow traffic conditions with a single lane in each direction (east/west).
• The Mitchell Freeway southbound on-ramp will be closed to eastbound traffic along Karrinyup Road. Westbound traffic toward Mitchell Freeway southbound may be intermittently disrupted.
• The Mitchell Freeway northbound off-ramp will become left-turn only.
• The Mitchell Freeway northbound on-ramp will be closed to the westbound traffic along Karrinyup Road, eastbound traffic will still be permitted.
• PSP users (on the west side of the Mitchell Freeway) will be detoured to the protected signalised crossing at North Beach Road (about 640 metres total detour length).