$175 millionTotal budget
Under ConstructionProject phase
Main Roads WALead agency
Late 2020Start date
Early 2024End date
The Albany Ring Road project will extend Albany Ring Road south from Albany Highway, parallel to Link Road and north of the freight rail line, before connecting into Princess Royal Drive.
The first phase of the project reached a key milestone in April 2022 when the new interchange at Menang Drive and Albany Highway was completed.
The second phase of the project will focus on Lancaster Road to Princess Royal Drive, with works on the 6km stretch underway.
Link Road temporary closure
Link Road will be temporarily closed between Lancaster Road and South Coast Highway from 7 September 2022 to December 2022.
Signed detours for all traffic will be in place via Timewell Road and Lancaster Road.
Local access will be permitted for residents and businesses located on Link Road between Lancaster Road and Kempton Close.
Permanent road closure
The Albany Ring Road alignment runs directly to the east of George Street. As a result, existing connections to George Street at Lowanna Drive, Frederick Street and Old Elleker Roads will permanently close from September 2022.
• From 14 September 2022
• The Albany Ring Road will split Lowanna Drive
• The existing access between Lowanna Drive East and George Street will be removed
• There will be no direct access to George Street or the Albany Ring Road from Lowanna Drive East
• From 14 September 2022
• The existing access between Frederick Street and George Street will be removed
• There will be no direct access to George Street or the Albany Ring Road from Frederick Street
Old Elleker Road
• From 21 September 2022
• The existing access between Old Elleker Road and George Street will be removed
• During the earthworks period, access between Old Elleker Road and Lower Denmark Road will shift between the two level crossings on Lower Denmark Road, depending on site activities
• Access between Old Elleker Road and Lower Denmark Road will be removed once the Albany Ring Road opens. A new single access point between the Albany Ring Road and Old Elleker Road will be constructed.
Visit Main Roads Western Australia for more information on local road closures.
News and project updatesSee all news
Media releases23 September, 2020
$175 million Albany Ring Road unlocks local jobs as construction gets underway
Construction on the $175 million Albany Ring Road project is officially underway, unlocking up to 1,000 local jobs and creating flow-on economic benefits for Western Australia's south-west.
Media releases23 August, 2020
Building road and rail infrastructure paves way to WA’s recovery
As part of Western Australia's economic recovery, the McGowan Government is investing significantly in job-creating road and rail infrastructure projects across the State, as it bolsters the $6.5 billion unprecedented building program.
Media releases13 July, 2020
Work on $175 million Albany Ring Road to begin in September, unlocking hundreds of local jobs
Construction of the $175 million Albany Ring Road will begin in September, unlocking hundreds of local jobs, after Western Australian company Decmil Southern Pty Ltd was named preferred proponent to deliver the project.